This project is funded by the Office of Refugee Resettlement and implemented in partnership with Center for New North Carolinians of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. The broad objectives of the project are to:
- Assist refugees in becoming economically self-sufficient,
- Help refugee communities in developing capital resources, and
- Assist refugees in developing credit history and/or in repairing their credit scores.
Microenterprise Development services include business technical assistance or short-term training, and provide credit in the form of micro-loans, an average of $4,500. The program is designed in a manner that is culturally and linguistically appropriate for the refugee population.
To equip refugees with the skills they need to become successful entrepreneurs, the program provides training and technical assistance in:
- Business plan development
- Bookkeeping/financial literacy and management