Job Title: Microenterprise Business Counselor
Scope: Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Microenterprise Business Counselor will support the continued development of ASC’s Microenterprise Program. The ASC Microenterprise Program offers loans and technical assistance to help refugees and asylee start or expand a small business.
- Conduct outreach and recruitment of program participants; screen and assess interested refugees for program eligibility and participation.
- Facilitate and conduct a regular financial literacy education and credit building trainings for eligible MED clients in a classroom.
- Provide one-on-one credit and business counseling and management assistance to new and existing refugee owned-businesses in all areas of business start-up and expansion
- Assist refugee entrepreneurs to become ready for business financing through preparation of loan applications, business plans, and financial statements
- Conduct individual case management and loan collections, including “off-site” pre and post-loan technical assistance visits to the businesses or homes of program participants.
- Proactively facilitate referrals to outside service providers as necessary to meet the diverse needs of the program participants
- Ensure that information required for program eligibility and reporting purposes is collected and that accurate records are maintained, including case files and client data entry. Ensure necessary steps are taken to obtain relevant data in a timely fashion; follow-up with all clients regularly and record all contacts with case notes
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings with other ASC staff and volunteers as part of the review, evaluation and program maintenance process.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of classroom activities and special events Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree; at least 1 year of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
- Knowledge and experience with an array of business topics, including marketing, management, financing, and entrepreneurship.
- Minimum 1-2 yrs experience in business counseling or technical assistance.
- Familiar with business software and technologies, especially low-cost online marketing strategies. Excellent organizational skills.
- Proficiency in a common refugee language preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including ability to make presentations.
- Regular travel to off-site locations is required.
- Ability to work independently, be a self-starter and maintain responsibility for multiple tasks.
- Masters or bachelors degree in related field; business experience in lieu of formal business education is acceptable.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ASC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ASC considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.